Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Happy Anniversary Darling

Hey sweetheart. I loved when you would call me that. I knew you meant it and I miss you saying that to me. This is our second anniversary apart and I have been doing so well. Steve I know you would be so proud of me as you were always my biggest cheerleader. I want you to know I am strong about tomorrow although today I had a couple of rough moments as I thought back on that stupid day when you died. I say stupid, because although we were together 30 plus years I choose to go back to then that awful day. There are so many better days to think back on and I am choosing those for tomorrow and future anniversary dates.

You told me a few times, that you held me back from becoming the woman I should become. I remember arguing with you so often about that statement. That was such a lie, because it wasn’t my time yet. I had to have all the experiences under my belt so I could come out and flourish as I am meant to. You were part the best part of my training. You taught about unconditional love and you made me feel beautiful whenever your eyes fell on me from across the room. You taught me about faithfulness because you never glanced inappropriately at another woman in my presence or told me how beautiful she was. You always made a point of lifting me and reassuring me of my beauty and helped me recognize and feel secure about the beauty of God within me. Even when I had my surgery and I felt hideous, you adored me and loved me with your care and concern for my well being as you nursed me back to good emotional health about the wretched scar that I now embrace. When it feels swollen I am taken back to the time I was so loved by you that you sacrificed for me and stayed close to me and was even more concerned about my health than I was. I love you for this.
Through our many ups and downs you taught me about creative financing paying bills and shopping for groceries all wonderful life skills I use daily. I was pushed to be able to think outside the box to provide meals, make costumes, create games, and low budget fun filled birthday parties for our family. I learned how to repair holes in walls, paint the walls, fix flat tires and fix perfect pancakes because of your love for me and your desire to keep me from being helpless. You always told me I could do anything I put my mind to and you pretty much were right. I am learning this right now as your words of love and encouragement ring in my ears.
You helped me be strong and courageous through many trials in our lives. I stood through them all, next to you despite everything, we still stood together, until you were no longer there. Now I stand alone without you to support me, but I am strong enough now to stand alone. I can weather any storm now because I am deeply rooted and because of your support, standing tall and straight as an arrow. I know you prayed many prayers for me as I did for you and our love kept us strong and will keep me going into this new life I am in.
My darling, I could not let this day pass without some form of public recognition for all the great love you showed me and poured into me during our wonderful moment together. In God’s eyes it was only a moment but we will share eternity together some day. I cry as I type this, but my tears are no longer the copious tears of a weeping pathetic widow who can do nothing without her man. I stand strong and proud to have been your wife and my tears are because you told me so and I didn’t listen until now. I am the person you told me I was during those many years when I seemed to be losing my identity in the everyday life of wife and mother. You still saw the ambitious, adventurous woman you married and saw my potential long before I found it again.   
Thank you Lord for giving me the person I needed to bring me to where I am now as a woman of God. I never would have thought to do some of those things to get me to step up, but hey what do I know. I love you and am so grateful for the man you put into my life. He was my helpmate as much as I was ever his helpmate. We both brought different sets of baggage to the marriage, but eventually, we sorted through it all and at least he got rid of all of his and I am down to a makeup kit. You are awesome and truly aware of our every need and Lord if you ever see fit to bring another man into my life, what can I really do about it anyway. I will train him too wink, wink.
Steve I love you munga my sweetheart, I will never forget you. Thank you darling for all you did for my spirit, I only wish you were here so you could tell me so in person. I commemorate our 31st anniversary this night and want you to know you will never be forgotten, only cherished more each year as I am able to remember more of our conversations now that my mind is less tramatized.

No comments:

Post a Comment