Thursday, December 23, 2010

Celestial events

I watched the lunar eclipse this week. I thought my dad would wake me up for it, but it was just another night where I couldn’t go to sleep so I stayed up. My daughter Mary stayed up with me to watch with me. I know there was a lot of hype about it being an eclipse, but I just wanted to see it and make another memory. The last memory I have of a lunar eclipse was with Steve. I don’t remember what part of the country he was driving through, but he and I watched the moon together on the phone, while it eclipsed. It was so exciting and we felt closer to each other that night than the many miles which separated us. It was fantastic to be able to witness this event together from who knows where he was. It was pretty surreal as we marveled at the vastness of space and the smallness of us. I don’t know the exact date but it was a lunar eclipse and it was on a Wednesday because it was our ladies prayer group night. The day is unimportant but it was a good memory and this eclipse will be one as well.
Dad got up soon after the shadow started creeping across the top of the moon. Mary and I were already outside sitting on the swing enjoying the beautiful view. It was like our own private planetarium complete with seating and perfect lighting.  Had I been back in Selma, I would not have been able to see such a clear sky due to the cloud coverage I have since been told. We also saw a more unusual occurrence than the eclipse that night. We witnessed my mother stumbling out of the door to view this once in whatever event with us. Well I don’t think it was actually her choice, my dad prodded her to get up. It took her a few minutes to appreciate the beauty of the night sky with us. She kept asking is it there yet, and as soon as the moon was covered she left and so did dad and Mary. I stayed for awhile after just to enjoy the show and the silence.
It was a special event according to the weather men, but to me just an opportunity to share something quiet and special. How often do we get to view an event like this together? Until tonight we had lived apart and I never knew that they (dad) were ever interested in sky watching. I will admit I thought a lot about Steve during the eclipse and our last time viewing one, but I now have a fun, new memory. I can enjoy both of these memories the next time a lunar eclipse comes around.
Since that eclipse I have been pretty melancholy. All the talk of loved ones, family stings me. I see people shopping together and I have tried to avoid the stores. I have seen several things Steve would have loved, I have gone to call him more often than normal, and I just miss him a lot. I was really down yesterday and wanted to take a nap. How impossible is this in a house full of people? Very impossible. I lay down then mom came in, then my niece’s and sister, daughter and the dogs pretty much in that order. We had the parade, then the talking and tickling time and the rolling on the bed.  It was pretty funny and wonderfully distracting and I enjoyed it. After my sister left with the girls, my other sister came with her grandbaby, Gabe who also was such a fun, adorable distraction. So I guess I am saying, it was a good decision to come home, because the sting can’t last as long.
Today will be another pleasant day; I will be babysitting my grandbaby with my sister who has her grandbaby too. It will be a Memere night for us. I am excited and of course my niece’s will be there to play too. Four kids, ages one and half to four with enough energy to light this fair city tonight and put all of us all into a deep slumber too. I hope I will be able to hear Hannah if she wakes in the night. I will make it through this with family support and distractions. I feel a bit lighter and joyful this very moment, so I decided to blog before I funked out again. Christmas will come regardless of my emotions it is up to me to enjoy it and I choose to celebrate it with my head high, or low, it will be another celestial event. I will be looking up at the right time. Thank you Lord, for the wonderful gift of your son.

No comments:

Post a Comment